Click On Image To Enlarge
Valve Cover Gasket Set, That has a thickness of .250" or 1/4". This is a Cork-Lam Performance Valve Cover Gasket Set, that has a Cork Rubber blend and steel core.
This Fel-Pro part Number 1648 Valve Cover Gasket Set fits 1987-1997 heads with center bolt covers.
Valve Cover Gaskets
Fel-Pro engineers have developed a variety of technologies to properly seal a valve cover in performance applications. Several different material options are available, each chosen to meet specific requirements in terms of cost, features, and application suitability.
- Fel-Pro Blue Stripe cork-rubber Blue Stripe cork-rubber is the most frequently used material. Blue Stripe premium-quality cork-rubber gaskets use evenly-sized cork particles evenly distributed throughout a rubber binder. The result is a compressible gasket without leak paths. These gaskets are generally a little thicker than their standard passenger vehicle counterparts.
- Fel-CoPrene synthetic rubber Fel-CoPrene synthetic rubber can offer a longer life than cork-rubber. However, because it is more flexible than cork-rubber, it can be more difficult to install. Generally, a quick-drying contact adhesive should be used to bond the gasket to the valve cover before installation.
- Rubber-coated fiber Rubber-coated fiber is used for some high-heat applications, such as Chrysler big-block V8 engines, where the valve cover is in close proximity to the exhaust manifold. The excess heat contributes to premature deterioration of most valve cover gaskets and leads to leaks. These high-heat application gaskets are made of stiff, high-temperature fiber material coated with latex rubber.
- Fel-Pro Cork-Lam Cork-Lam is used for some valve cover applications, such as Chevrolet small-block and big-block V8 engines, where high-vacuum or blowout conditions can be a special problem. Cork-Lam uses a metal core with cork-rubber material that is chemically and mechanically bonded to it on both sides. This construction provides a thicker-than-normal gasket with exceptionally good torque retention. The added thickness allows for clearance between the valvetrain and the valve cover when needed.
- Composite material Composite material is a superb choice for Pro Stock, Funny Car/Dragster, and professional oval track race engines. Laminated over a steel core, the composite material delivers maximum compression and torque retention in super-high-vacuum conditions. The gasket is also coated with silicone for even greater sealability and easier removal.
- Rigid core molded silicone rubber Molded rubber gaskets provide for ease of installation, and are great for on-again/off-again situations (like setting valve lash). These gaskets feature high-tech silicone material for long life, an engineered cross section for reliable sealing, a solid steel core for strength and durability, and stainless steel compression limiters to prevent overtightening. This is an excellent choice for high-vacuum racing engines.
||Cork/Rubber with steel core
||Cork-Lam construction utilizes a metal core with a cork-rubber material chemically bonded to both sides.
||Valve Cover Gaskets
||Fel-Pro Performance CorkLam Valve Cover Gaskets
||Sold as a pair.